In Australia there is a war emerging over specialist talent. While in hot demand, specialists frequently score lower on engagement scores and typically feel less ‘valued’ within organisations. Sportsbet, a leading corporate bookmaker, knew their specialists were vital to their strategic growth and wanted to create real opportunities for them to advance.
They called on Modus to transform their top technical experts from task-based specialists in to valued 'Thought Leaders.'
After close consultation with specialists from all parts of their business, we piloted a 6-day learning experience.
The objectives were to equip their technical experts to:
- Operate with a consulting mindset to add value in every interaction with stakeholders
- Analyse complex information, identify patterns then use these to create innovative solutions
- Articulate complex messages making them easily digestible to a wider audience
- Understand their personal values and beliefs in relation to others and remain open-minded
To gain traction with the audience, the 6-day experience was the exact opposite of most traditional training approaches. There were no slides. The facilitator was not positioned as the expert.
And despite the audience not being people leaders, the Executive Team brought the specialists into the strategic planning process to help inform their decision making and shape the future direction of the business.
The immersive experience was delivered in 2-day frameworks spread over 6 months.
The frameworks targeted the following three areas:
- F1: Consulting skills
- F2: Strategic thinking
- F3: Relationship master
“In working with a large group of tough stakeholders the content and frameworks will be extremely helpful, particularly in navigating conflict, influencing, obtaining support and making advocates amongst stakeholders”
Solution diagram (for optional inclusion & enhancement)
F1: Consulting skills
- Raising Self-Awareness
- Becoming a Trusted Advisor
- Expertise Brand Building
- Defining a Value Position
F2: Strategy Leadership
- Strategic Mindset & Skillset
- Design-Led Thinking
- Structured Problem Solving
- 2020 Strategy Contribution
F3: Relationship master
Communicating with EQ
Presenting for Impact
Leading Cross-Functional Projects